Sunday, August 7, 2011

Abstract Bird of Paradise

I'm getting really frustrated with artists protecting their artwork with copyrights that prohibit me from being able to upload them to my blog. I mean really, it's for educational purposes people!

I found an abstracted painting of the tropical flower, Bird of Paradise, by Marcia Baldwin. I think the color and the simplicity of the piece are phenomenal. It drew me in in making me wonder what the subject matter was, and then it hit me... aka I saw the title... and I was like oh man! And then I couldn't unsee it. What's really special about it is that it's a batik, which means the artist dyed in the composition. Batiking takes a lot of skill and a lot of patience, and it really shows the artist's dedication to the end result. The subtle use of white to create thin lines of negative space are very cool. But then again, I'm just not a black person, so the less black in a piece the more intrigued I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment