Thursday, August 4, 2011

Lara Stein Pardo

Because I am not only majoring in Studio Art, but Art History as well, I cannot help myself when it comes to reading about art. I was browsing through some short articles on the Smithsonian Museum of Art when I came across Lara Stein Pardo's article on women and art in the Caribbean. And if that's not fate then please, pinch me. Her short article (which I've provided a link for at the bottom of my post), discusses her research on how female artists with a Caribbean background work in the U.S. and navigate themselves through their creative process of identity in culture and art. Pardo makes the argument that art enables "in-between" female artists of Caribbean decent in the U.S. to engage in their public environment and provide a sense of balance to the the multiple roles they carry. In a way, their art provides them with a connection to  not only familiar places, but to a people as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment