Thursday, August 4, 2011

Julia Watkins

I thought my Stumble! button was going to let me down tonight. Nope. I found Julia Watkins!  And let me get to the point as to why she is so lucky to be included in my billions of blogs: she's smart with color. Look at this painting and think about what you see.


Some trippy wavy strips of color? Wrong! Now let me provide you with the information that this piece is titled Leaning Lovers. Now do you see it? I'm sure plenty of people see the clever use of variations of chroma and value to sort of watermark the shadows of two naked people in the painting, but I was all about the interesting waves of color and then I was like WOAH! Not only is it inventive, it also takes some serious skill with a palette knife and mixing paint to pull off this effect. I admire Watkins's talent with color. I also admire the fact that according to her little artist statement, the background of the painting contributes to the physical and emotional feelings she's trying to convey between the figures. Very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment