Tuesday, August 2, 2011

COLOR!

Okay, so I ordered over 500 duck feathers over 3 weeks ago and they have yet to arrive. This is freakin' frustrating. I want to get going with some experimenting here.

Ugh. Anyway, I'm struggling with finding artists who have done anything relatively similar... specifically artists who aren't just painting a bird on a feather and calling it a day. Which is also frustrating. I'm frustrated. So I'm pondering my summer away wondering how I can take something that could walk the fine line between art and kitch and turn it into something that is edgy and artsy fartsy (kinda).


BOOM! Color Theory. Meet Jen Stark, an artist in color and my latest inspiration for how to approach my idea. Oh hey, what do you, Professor Harris's class might pay off and make my project. I really appreciate Starks organic shapes and her bold use of color. Although, I also find it fair to say that in looking at her work all together, her portfolio appears sort of repetitive in how she uses color: she makes interesting rainbows. But the sculptural aspect of her work catches my eye, along with the fact that Caribbean artists are ALL about the dramatic use of color, from big names like Wifredo Lam to little guys like Abel Garcia Matos. I think this could work. I'm not a big color person. In fact, my favorite colors are all neutrals. But I'm doing some reconnecting here, and color could be my way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment