Friday, August 12, 2011

Raul Martinez

Talk about political art in the Caribbean. Raul Martinez's art is bright and colorful (which, naturally is what attracted me to him) but also serves a political purpose. In essence, a lot of his pieces look like bright, Cuban campaign posters.

Camilo Cienfueges

Martinez is a pop-art artist, sort of like a Cuban Andy Warhol.  His pieces revolve around the Cuban Revolution and have earned him a name among great Caribbean artists. His graphic designs and paintings have been featured in both Cuba and the US. 
I'm drawn to Martinez's bold use of color. I love pop-art, always have. When I was 13 I had an Andy Warhol poster in my room while everyone else had Eminem. Rough times. Pop-art is simple and ultimately helped unleash Cuban artists like Martinez. Do art. And do a lot of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment