Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Coral People!!

So I was stumbling on StumbleUpon, and came across this artist, Jason de Caires Taylor, who made all of these life-size cement sculptures of people... and put them on the bottom of the ocean. His concept is Sinking Beauty, but what I'm interested in is his end result. The sculptures grew coral on them and several of them became one with the ocean floor they were placed on. The coral is what caught my eye. It's not like Taylor could control where the coral ended up on his pieces, but it turned out totally awesome. 


I'm all about color and texture. And I'm all about the fusion of culture and nature in both costume and art in the Caribbean. The end result of what happened to Taylor's cement people fascinates me. They went from plain simple cement people to awesome coral people. Total transformation and it's beautiful, and literally portrays people connected to the land (or in this case the land inside the water). Baller.

No comments:

Post a Comment