Thursday, August 4, 2011

Leonid Afremov

The inspiration of light translated into quick brushstrokes. Oh hey that sounds familiar, sort of like one of the most popular movements in art to date: impressionism. Once upon a time I stumbled on painting by Leonid Afremov, and I stared at it for like an hour on my computer screen. Probably burned my eyes a little bit. The piece was titled Alley by the Lake.


Broken color, bold clear strokes, and saturation caught my eye immediately in this piece. I absolutely love when artists successfully compose their pieces of strong brushstrokes. So I did a little more digging into Afremov and I had to say... I don't think I've ever googled an artist and had 8 pages full of pieces with no repetition of any of the artwork. I kid you not, pages and pages of art. All together, his pieces really begin to run together in terms of color and subject matter. But a few stood out to me, not just because I admire his style, but because they strayed from the romantic walk-in-the-park feel.




Obviously, I've chosen a bunch of boats. Boats = lifeline in the Caribbean and they make up a great part of everyday life. In playing with light, Afremov's use of color and subject matter in these cases looks like a hybrid of European and Caribbean painting to me, in terms of choice of medium, style of painting, color choice, and the subject matter.



No comments:

Post a Comment