Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"Spooky"

So I'm stumbling along the internet, stumble stumble stumble (I have literally been on the internet three times more today than I have ALL SUMMER LONG!!!) when I come across this page that says "Quilling - the Art of Turning Paper Strips into Intricate Artworks" and I go well THAT'S interesting, so I scrolly scroll down the page. This guy, or girl (the artist goes by "Spooky") curls strips of paper and arranges them so, so that the end result is this really intricate shape with all kinds of shapes and patterns going on in the middle. And, please don't get me wrong, I know some of this stuff is super cheesy. But the hand caught my eye.


Maybe I've been staring at a computer screen too long today and need to get myself a CATscan to check for brain damage, but the business (as in busy-ness, not the kind you get a degree for) of the interior reminded me of how artists show the foliage in Caribbean art. Lots of stuff happening, and a few distinguishable shapes. I may be losing my mind. But this seemed different and cool to me and I think Spooky, whoever he or she is, should do more stuff like this and with a more controlled color palette. But I'm thinking along the lines of our fingerprints here and where our fingerprints come from and that's where I bring in my heritage and the traditional painting styles and blah blah blah blah blah. I say blah blah blah because I'm getting the notion that I am repeating myself just a little bit. And when I look at this image in black and white, it suddenly has a new look to me.


Anyone else think that now that the color isn't so distracting it's got a jungly look to it? I like it, it's pattern all coming together to make something cool, and that's more or less what I want to accomplish. The coming together of pattern, but in a deeper way than just curling some paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment