Sunday, August 14, 2011

Matthew Cusick

Talk about seriously blowing my mind. This guy does stuff in his art I didn't think was really possible. And I'm jealous I didn't think of it! Look long and hard at Matthew Cusick's piece:


See a map? See a wave? I'm sure you see both. BECAUSE IT IS. It's map art! He cuts up maps and strategically arranges pieces to create a piece of artwork. I think it's effing brilliant. I don't think I could rant and rave anymore. The texture, the color, it's hard to believe what it comes from, but so easy at the same time. And it looks strategic and difficult. The piece above is titled Kara's Wave, and it's my favorite of his many many map pieces. But I mean check this one out:

Three Horses
triple sick.

I'm baffled by how he has the patience to do this! I want to stare at it forever and ever and zoom in and see what parts of the world make all this up. And it's not just ocean pieces of waves. He'll turn a map into anything he wants. The ocean ones are just the most natural, given the color scheme an untouched map allows.

Sniper 1

Note the title. This is actually a portrait of one of the snipers that terrorized the DC metropolitan area in 2004. And yes, the maps that make him up are of the DC metropolitan area, including the specific locations of his victims. Intense enough? Shyeah. Awesome and outspoken? Hell yeah.

To say the least, Cusick is talented. He literally just shot up to my top 10 of coolest and most clever artists I've ever had the pleasure of looking at. I think to be truly creative today you have to be really original and a little witty and I think his work really says that about him.



No comments:

Post a Comment